LAN-Watch has Documentation!¶
This screenshot shows the original version which was tied to another project (autoteach). This project (lanwatch) is re-implementing the same tool independent of other projects.
LAN-Watch was designed for parents to see where their kids are connecting and to monitor bandwidth. LAN-Watch is a Web Application. You use it by pointing your browser at the lanwatch webpage after installation.
LAN-Watch comes in the form of a Django app. You need to have a server running Django before installing LAN-Watch.
LAN-Watch uses 6 daemons that run as background processes on your server machine. The lanwatch webapp requests an update from the server every 5 seconds. These are AJAX requests so the page does not reload. The requests are received by lanwatch.views.home, which pulls the latest from each of the 5 daemons and returns the lot as a JSON structure.
The 6 daemons are:
- tcp_daemon maintains association between users and tcp/ip counts
- messages_daemon monitors system messages via /var/log/messages
- django_listener_daemon monitors django logfile /tmp/lanwatch.log
- network_traffic_daemon reads from /proc/net and handles running sums
- credit_meter_daemon manages timers, accounts and firewall
- acess_log_daemon monitors http requests to the web server (apache)
- The configuration variables are all in: